Monday, August 30, 2021

My new job

Hard work, no pay

After being retired for nearly a year, I started a new job today. I'm on the volunteer staff for the MVP Open disc golf tournament at Maple Hill Disc Golf. This is a beautiful course and an amazing tournament. And it looks like we're going to get some nice weather when the tournament begins on Friday.

Today, a group of us started gussying up the course for the weekend with tents, banners, and fancy out-of-bounds walls. During the tournament, I'll be spotting discs on two different holes. It should be an interesting week.

A taste of Maple Hill

Here's my son Ben teeing off from the white tee on hole 1 earlier this month:

Hole 1 white tee, Maple Hill
 Hole 1, white tee. Maple Hill Disc Golf, Leicester, Massachusetts.


The pros tee off from farther back and throw directly across both the Christmas tree field and the pond:

Map of Maple Hill, hole 1, Leicester, Massachusetts.
Map of Maple Hill, hole 1, Leicester, Massachusetts.

I would be lucky to make it to the near edge of the pond off the tee. But I saw a couple of pros practicing today make it well over the pond and into the Christmas trees (more than 475 feet!). It's astonishing to see shots like that in real life.


No comments:

Post a Comment