Friday, August 27, 2021

Welcome to Bogeyland!

July 5, 2021

Frisbees, trees, and me

Disc golf, like its older cousin golf (or ball golf, as disc golfers refer to it) is a humbling sport. It is simple in concept: get a flying disc from a designated tee location to a metal basket located some distance away using the fewest throws. In practice, things get in the way. Mainly trees.

As a novice disc golfer, I am well acquainted with the trees of New England. There are many of them, and they like discs!

Photo of Hole 16 at Clement Farm disc golf course, Haverhill, Massachusetts.
Hole 16 at Clement Farm disc golf course, Haverhill, Massachusetts.

I started disc golfing in earnest in December of last year. My first scored round that I can recall came in at 36 over par for 18 holes, meaning that I averaged two strokes over the designated number of strokes allocated to each hole for a par score (known as a double bogey). I played a few rounds before doing any scoring, and I recall throwing way more than double bogey on most holes, so I probably came in at something like 45 over par.

The great thing about being a beginner is that it’s OK to suck. And you tend to improve fast. In the six months since I started playing and scoring, I’ve improved from +36 to a high (or low) of +13 for an 18-hole round. Of course, some disc golf courses are more difficult than others, so it’s hard to compare scores. But in general, I’ve improved from double-bogey to single-bogey (+18) range. So that’s why I’m calling this blog/newsletter Notes from Bogeyland. I expect to be here for a while.

photo of Hole 16 basket (in the middle of the photo) at The Hill, Devens, Massachusetts.
Hole 16 basket (in the middle of the photo) at The Hill, Devens, Massachusetts.

But disc golf is a sport for optimism and high hopes. So while I call this Notes from Bogeyland, I am trying every round to escape from Bogeyland and enter Half-Bogeyland someday. It’s hard to contemplate anything beyond that right now.

I have occasional glimpses of the lands beyond Bogeyland, but they are fleeting. I get the occasional par (which feels like a birdie to me). And once in a great while, I get a birdie. According to my UDisc stats, I have played 1149 holes, and gotten only 16 birdies (1.4%). I’ve gotten 263 pars (23%), 408 bogies (36%), and 264 double bogey or worse (also 23%). So the stats point the way to improvement: shoot more birdies and pars.

If only it were that easy.

Tune in here for more non-expert disc golf musings.

No comments:

Post a Comment